Once we determine the learning needs, we design the components
of the learning or performance support solution. Here are our primary steps:
Not all of the tasks or phases is required for every
training project. Your timeline and budget, among other things, may
dictate fast-tracking or even skipping some steps.
- First, we zero-in on the business reasons for developing
a learning or performance support solution. We work closely with you
to develop the measurable impact that the solution must have to be
judged as a success.
- Next, we identify the ground rules and learn the
constraints and boundaries within which the solution must fitsuch
as time, budgets, and management preferences.
- We work with your staff to determine exactly what
your training, learning, and job performance needs areand aren't.
We do this because we don't want to develop solutions for problems
that don't exist.
- We determine just what the job is and identify the
nature of the performance gap. As appropriate, we use methods like
task analysis, interviews, research, and observation of experts at
work to identify procedures and factors critical for successful job
- We determine the characteristics of your employees/trainees.
We need to know what job-related skills and knowledge they already
have because we don't want to waste any learner's time by telling
them things they already know.
- We determine where your learners may differ in their
present skills and knowledge from what is required so we can make
sure each learner gets everything he or she needs, but not more. We
don't want to assume that people know more, or less, than they actually
- We determine how your employees can learn best. We
want to recommend the instructional methods and media that are best
for your employees/trainees and the performance/learning results that
- Of course, we also carefully consider the constraints
that you place on the final product.
- Identify specific learning objectives (based on the
specific knowledge or skill gaps that have been identified)
- Develop the performance measures or tests to be used
to determine how well the learning solution does the job
- Outline the content and functional specifications of
the learning of performance support solution
- Describe the strategies, methods, and media we plan
- Identify exactly how we will measure and determine
success of the solution after it is deployed.
You review and approve the design to make sure it is
technically accurate and that the style and substance suits your organization.
- The next product you see is the draft of the systems
components and modules. (Again, we want to make sure that you are never
"surprised" and always satisfied.)
- Then, we produce a trial version or "prototype" of
the learning or performance support solution for your review.
- When you are satisfied, we can then see how three or
four of your employees feel about the system/materials, and whether
or not the system helps improve their performanceso you know the
system works BEFORE you roll it out company-wide.
- Once we have all had the chance to review and test
the prototype, we revise and adjust the system elements to make them
- Then, we build the learning or performance support
solution to your approved specifications. This includes producing the
- Instruction (web, video, print/text support components,
- Administrative Support
- Student Tracking
- Post-deployment evaluation instruments
6. With your approval, we then produce the full-scale
version of the learning or performance support solution. Again, there
are quality check points to assure you are satisfied with the solution.
- We then help your people to implement the learning
or performance support solution. Gaining their acceptance and support
is crucial; we can help you to make sure that happens. (After all, the
best solution in the world is no good if people don't use it.)
- We help you to install and integrate the learning and
performance support solution. This can include:
- Training your staff and administrators
- Conducting company wide orientations
- Distributing materials
- Developing in-house "ad campaigns" to help drive
the learners to the training
- In this final phase we work your staff to collect and
analyze performance improvement data to measure and verify the success
of the learning or performance support solution.
- Of course, we can also revise and update the solution,