Once we determine the learning needs, we design the components of the learning
or performance support solution. Here are our primary steps:
Not all of the tasks or phases is required for every training project.
Your timeline and budget, among other things, may dictate fast-tracking
or even skipping some steps.
- First, we zero-in on the business reasons for developing a learning
or performance support solution. We work closely with you to develop
the measurable impact that the solution must have to be judged as
- Next, we identify the ground rules and learn the constraints and
boundaries within which the solution must fitsuch as time, budgets,
and management preferences.
- We work with your staff to determine exactly what your training,
learning, and job performance needs areand aren't. We do this
because we don't want to develop solutions for problems that don't
- We determine just what the job is and identify the nature of the
performance gap. As appropriate, we use methods like task analysis,
interviews, research, and observation of experts at work to identify
procedures and factors critical for successful job performance
- We determine the characteristics of your employees/trainees. We
need to know what job-related skills and knowledge they already have
because we don't want to waste any learner's time by telling them
things they already know.
- We determine where your learners may differ in their present skills
and knowledge from what is required so we can make sure each learner
gets everything he or she needs, but not more. We don't want to assume
that people know more, or less, than they actually do.
- We determine how your employees can learn best. We want to recommend
the instructional methods and media that are best for your employees/trainees
and the performance/learning results that you need.
- Of course, we also carefully consider the constraints that you place
on the final product.
- Identify specific learning objectives (based on the specific knowledge
or skill gaps that have been identified)
- Develop the performance measures or tests to be used to determine
how well the learning solution does the job
- Outline the content and functional specifications of the learning
of performance support solution
- Describe the strategies, methods, and media we plan to use
- Identify exactly how we will measure and determine success of the
solution after it is deployed.
You review and approve the design to make sure it is technically accurate
and that the style and substance suits your organization.
- The next product you see is the draft of the systems components and
modules. (Again, we want to make sure that you are never "surprised"
and always satisfied.)
- Then, we produce a trial version or "prototype" of the learning or
performance support solution for your review.
- When you are satisfied, we can then see how three or four of your
employees feel about the system/materials, and whether or not the system
helps improve their performanceso you know the system works BEFORE
you roll it out company-wide.
- Once we have all had the chance to review and test the prototype,
we revise and adjust the system elements to make them work better.
- Then, we build the learning or performance support solution to your
approved specifications. This includes producing the entire system:
- Instruction (web, video, print/text support components, as needed)
- Administrative Support
- Student Tracking
- Post-deployment evaluation instruments
6. With your approval, we then produce the full-scale version of
the learning or performance support solution. Again, there are quality
check points to assure you are satisfied with the solution.
- We then help your people to implement the learning or performance
support solution. Gaining their acceptance and support is crucial; we
can help you to make sure that happens. (After all, the best solution
in the world is no good if people don't use it.)
- We help you to install and integrate the learning and performance
support solution. This can include:
- Training your staff and administrators
- Conducting company wide orientations
- Distributing materials
- Developing in-house "ad campaigns" to help drive the learners
to the training
- In this final phase we work your staff to collect and analyze performance
improvement data to measure and verify the success of the learning or
performance support solution.
- Of course, we can also revise and update the solution, as needed.